Yarlet School | NEWS

Latest Yarlet newsred line

  1. At last, the rain has eased a little and we have seen the sunshine. The Early Years have all thoroughly enjoyed being out and about more (without wellies and brollies). We were beginning to think we needed webbed feet for our outdoor provision!

    Nursery have had a super half term. We have been delighted to welcome Hugo and Megan to Yarlet. Spring has definitely sprung, with our craft flowers, sheep and rabbits adorning our classroom! The children loved looking after their babies and taking the prams for our nature walk. In our 'home' topic, we have made shape houses, Easter nests and a special house for the Easter chicks. All topped off by an Easter egg hunt, such fun!

    Kindergarten have been very busy this term dealing with emergencies as part of our 'People who help us' topic. Ms Morgan and Miss Zara have been patients, burglars, people trapped up trees with cats, our cars have broken down, to name but a few scenarios the children have chosen to select to demonstrate their knowledge of the community around them. They all know what to do in an emergency and had some serious fire safety training when Staffordshire Fire Service came to visit. We are very sad to say goodbye to a very popular and cheery member of the class. We wish Jude all the luck and happiness in his future and we will all miss him very much!

    Reception have had a bit of a change from our usual animal topic and have instead been learning about the Human Body. I am always amazed at what a thirst our children have for knowledge and this has certainly been true over the last few weeks. We must say thanks to Will Betteley for bringing in his skeleton, Billy. He has been a great reference point and as the weeks have gone past it has impressed me how the children themselves talk about his anatomy.
    Have a super Easter everyone! We look forward to our final term and hope for some fantastic weather to enjoy Yarlet grounds at their best.

    The Early Years Team

  2. A very pleasing season with some exceptional matches and great wins. This team developed as it went along. Girls who started as shooters ended up defenders! Itwas often a surprise just how adaptable all the players were. In our first match we lost 9-3 to Denstone and realised that our shooting had let us down not our ability to retain possession. Playing next against Abbotsholme we wereable to come back from 4-1 to achieve our first win, 6-5. Holly scored with a superb long shot which gave the team the determination and confidence they had been lacking.
    We avoided the gales playing The Ryley's indoors. It was our first encounter with this team and most memorable. Zara, Huma and Tawana were tenacious enabling us to close the score down to 5-5. Leading briefly 6-5, the girls' concentration did not hold and The Ryley's scored another two goals in quick succession to give them the win, 7-6.

    Another exciting match was played in extreme weather conditions at Terra Nova. The ball was bouncing and ricocheting as the girls struggled to pass in the gale! Shooting was also a challenge but our passing and spacing were excellent and, with superb service into the shooters from Millie and firm defence from Olivia, we won 3-2.

    Our long journey to Macclesfield was well worth it as the match couldn't have been closer or better fought. Beech Hall was sending high balls over our defence and our passing had become wild. We were two goals behind after the third quarter. Yarlet was not dispirited however and with a sudden surge of interceptions from Tawana and Zara and Millie racing around their opponents we had all the possession needed to take the lead and hold on to it thanks to alert defending from Olivia and Huma. We took an 8-7 win: our most satisfying yet!

    Yarlet played confidently in their next match against Birchfield despite having to reshuffle the positions. Millie was now goal attack and Amelia and Emily C. were brought in to strengthen the wings. We passed well and Zara and Tawana were as alert and energetic as ever scooping up all the loose balls. We led from start to finish and with fine shooting from Holly and Millie, took a comfortable 9-4 win.

    Our return match against Denstone was our easiest victory. By half time we had a 6-0 lead as our shooters were on form and enjoying playing on home territory at last. The Denstone C team battled valiantly and, with Yarlet now asked to play out of position, managed a single goal. The final score was 7-1 to us.
    I hope the girls have enjoyed the season as much as I have. They should be proud of their achievements. Thanks to all the parents who supported us along the way. Your daughters are a credit to you.

  3. Rugby this term has proven to be very successful for the U13 boys. Starting with a tough fixture against Shrewsbury High Prep the boys put in an excellent performance that belied the lack of rugby played up to that point, winning the fixture 31-10.

    Next came The Ryleys in a 7s fixture, once again the Yarlet boys were full of ambition
    and played some excellent rugby, again winning by a good margin; 57-29.

    Terra Nova provided the sternest test Yarlet were to face early on in the term. Knowing that they would be facing a strong Terra Nova side the boys showed great attacking endeavour and demonstrated superb character throughout a game which ebbed and flowed. The boys, despite their tremendous efforts fell, to a 46-29 loss.

    After half term Yarlet began with an excellent win over local rivals Birchfield; once again demonstrating some excellent running rugby to win 66-7.

    In the final fixture of the season Yarlet travelled to Packwood for what promised to be an excellent encounter; and it didn't disappoint. Playing in a 'mini' 7s tournament against two Packwood sides Yarlet saved their best for last in three games that demonstrated the heart and team spirit this team has. Playing three consecutive games of 7s the Yarlet boys were certainly up against it; every game had both Yarlet and Packwood playing some superb rugby and forcing each other in to excellent defence with some outstanding tackling on display. Yarlet managed to dig deep and in each game showed a real will to win coming out victorious in each nerve-wracking game: 10-12, 12-14, 12-19. The day saw four tries and four conversions from Ed Gaffney, one try and one conversion from Gabriel Korylco-Bowers and one try a piece for William Thowless-Reeves and Jacob Raine.

    This season has been very good for Yarlet Rugby, with some superb individual displays; but most importantly the superb team spirit and attitude of the boys that has shone through in every fixture and the boys have been justly rewarded for their teamwork with plenty of 'W's' in the win column. A very big well done to all!

  4. I hope that you have already begun to relax on your summer holidays. Our school year has come, as always, hurtling to an end and has culminated in a super final week of celebration and fun. Children have made great personal achievements all round and deserve a super summer break (whilst, of course, keeping up their handwriting, reading and counting!).

    Yarlet Pre-Prep pupils performed very poignantly for our end of year assembly held in Centenary Hall, as well as for our Sports Day and Prize-giving ceremony. Forms One and Two had a fantastic time at Ainsdale Beach. It is a relatively 'undiscovered' location and we panicked at first as the ice cream van was absent, but with perfect timing it drove in just as were finishing our sand-castle building competition and were off to wash our hands. The weather was perfect, not too hot or sunny and definitely not cold. We have always been so lucky, weather-wise! Form Two largely provided a lot of the fun during the last week as they performed their original puppet show – The Land of Trog - to Pre-Prep and organised and manned the games played on the day of the teddy bears' picnic. Magic Chris did the rest and had us rolling in the aisles with his entertainment.

    On a more studious note we teachers were happy to meet with parents of pupils in our classes to report on our pupils' academic and other achievements reached over the school year. We were also all impressed by the standard of the children moving into our classes next year, as we found out on our swop session. The children naturally move towards the goals aimed for in their next year's class and rise to all challenges seamlessly.

    I hope that you have a lovely summer holiday. I wish all those pupils who are leaving us all the best in their new school environments and I look forward to seeing everyone else in September. A big thank you to all Yarlet staff, parents and children who make Yarlet the wonderful place it is. New Form 3s, don't forget to wave to us in Pre-Prep from the lofty heights of Main School!

  5. Can you believe this is the last news for this academic year? Yet again, another year gone by, in the blink of an eye. We have been very busy though. The lovely weather we have had has allowed us to enjoy some of Yarlet's best assets, its lovely grounds. We have explored every inch of it from the run and roll, to the pond and even our secret little 'sunny spot' where we have enjoyed rolling and running down the bank. Kindergarten and Nursery had a really interesting and fun visit from 'The Animal Man'. We saw and indeed for those of us brave enough, held all manner of creatures, ranging from snakes to the teachers' personal favourite, a tarantula! The children really did put the teachers to shame!

    What a fabulous half term we have had in Nursery. We have made ice creams, beaches and shell paintings in our holiday topic. The children all loved arriving at our role play airport, stamping their passports and whizzing down to the aeroplane on Darcy's 'trunkie!' We also added an Italian element to our Nursery turning it in to a pizzeria for the day. The children loved stretching, kneading and bashing their dough. The finished results were 'belissimo'! We have made the most of being outdoors and have mastered the teddy bear dash as well as completing a fun obstacle course! All topped off with our fun teddy bears' picnic what a treat!

    We have had a fantastic half term in Kindergarten. The weather has been kind and let us do many of our activities outside. We have had a few visits to the pond, although some of the creatures were a little shy this year. We did however find a lovely and quite large beast which after some 'googling', we realised was a toad tadpole that was almost a toad but not quite! Some of our mini beasts kindly came to visit us. We have had several snails in our Kindi garden, ants eating our strawberries and a huge spider 'guarding' Miss Zara's desk. We have been lucky enough to enjoy a bumper crop of strawberries from our strawberry plant and the children have enjoyed picking them and eating them at snack time. We shall be incredibly sad to see some of our Kindi friends move on to pastures new but wish them all good luck and much happiness in their future schools.

    Reception have been working very hard, honing their academic skills ready for the move into Form 1 next term. That is not to say that we haven't been having fun, quite the contrary! Our 'Marvellous music' topic has seen us singing and dancing at every opportunity. We have been using Spotify to find our best tracks from home and it has been great to see what musical tastes echo around your homes. From class favourite 'Snuggle Puppy' to the disco classic 'I like to move it (move it)', it has been a joyous end to a fabulous year!!!
    Well, after all the hard work this year have a super, well deserved summer break, I'm sure it'll fly by. We'll see you in September! The Early Years Team.

  6. Happily, the star players have lived up to their potential in the first half of the season, and the lesser lights have done the best they can. We were better than Foremarke's 2nd XI in our first match, but struggled to put away our chances. Finally, Sean O'Reilly poked the ball home and we were on our way. By the end we had won 4 – 2, courtesy of a good volley from Gabriel Korylco-Bowers, and two more from O'Reilly, who had the joy of a hat-trick in his first 1st XI game.

    It was hard to believe what happened in our next match. Both teams threw caution to the wind, and defences were
    virtually non-existent. We won a thrilling end-to-end game against Terra Nova 8 – 6, with five goals from Korylco-Bowers and another hat-trick from O'Reilly. He was starting to think playing for the 1st XI was easy!

    Our best performance so far came against Wrekin College. O'Reilly scored against the run of play with a superb run from the half way line, but Wrekin led 3 – 1 at half time. A great fight back in the second half, with a goal from Jacob Raine and two more from Korylco- Bowers, saw us win a close match 4 – 3. 27 goals in three matches – this is the stuff to bring the crowds back!

    Jacob Raine has been a superb captain, leading by example, supporting colleagues, and dominating midfield. Harrison Hardy-Smith's tireless running and skilful play have been invaluable, while Gabriel Korylco-Bowers' strength, skill and finishing have been really impressive. O'Reilly's goal scoring has been a real bonus, and all the other players have performed up to, and beyond, expectations.

    But please, no one is allowed to be ill or injured!

  7. The first fixture of the season was the ISEB Midlands knockout tournament at Repton School. Yarlet started with a tough fixture against Terra Nova and, despite making all the running and producing the majority of the attacking football, Terra Nova ran out 2-1 winners. In the remaining fixtures, Yarlet continued to play some superb attacking football and beat every team put in front of them.

    Then came the big fixture against Prestfelde, who took a 1-0 lead playing some nice passing football, after which Yarlet began to impose themselves on the game and equalised. Unfortunately in the very last minute, against the run of play, Prestfelde scrambled home a winner to top the group and leave Yarlet third behind Terra Nova.

    The first full fixture of the season and Yarlet made the journey to Jodrell Bank to face Terra Nova and Pownall in a triangular tournament. Intent on gaining the victory after the ISEB tournament the Yarlet boys played some simply excellent football, passing and moving superbly and giving a talented Terra Nova no time on the ball. Throughout the game Yarlet remained on top and eventually ran out 3-1 winners.

    Straight off this victory Yarlet faced a dogged Pownall side who were keen to disrupt and pressure the Yarlet side, however they could not stop the slick Yarlet passing and the boys came out comfortably on top, winning 5-0. The 'B' team showed some real progress in this fixture, losing 2-0 to a good Terra Nova side and improving again in the second fixture, losing 2-1 to Pownall.

    Next, Yarlet travelled to another of their ISEB rivals, Prestfelde. Again this was a triangular tournament, this time involving Old Hall. In the thunder and lightning the Yarlet boys watched Prestfelde comfortably beat Old Hall. Then it was Yarlet who faced Prestfelde. With Prestfelde having just played they started the brighter and took an early 1-0 lead, however from this point the Yarlet boys showed real heart and determination and started to dictate the pace of the game, making the Prestfelde defence work very hard. Despite all the pressure, Prestfelde held firm. That was, until Max Raine produced a superb free-kick to 'lob' the keeper from 20 yards out. From here on in the game ebbed and flowed with both sides looking for the winner, when an unfortunate slip on the sodden pitch helped Prestfelde slide in a winner in the final minute to win the game 2-1.

    With the boys extremely disappointed having lost a fixture so undeservedly they had to pick themselves up to face Old Hall, and they did this in some style. Dominating the fixture, Old Hall hardly touched the ball, with Yarlet on the attack for seemingly the whole game, with Greg Beardsmore and Joe Archer scoring the goals in an emphatic 2-0 win. Once again the 'B' team showed that the future is bright for the Under 11s at Yarlet. Despite losing 4-0 to Prestfelde they showed real fight and a desire to improve and did so admirably in a 2-0 loss to Old Hall.

    Leading goal scorers at this point are Max Raine (8), Fraser Lloyd (5), Joe Archer (4) and Greg Beardsmore (1). The season so far has been excellent and it is with great excitement that we look forward to the next half of the season.


    In the final match before half term we entertained Packwood. We were dominant early on but missed a number of chances. Eventually, Korylco-Bowers broke the deadlock, then he quickly added a second. However, we allowed the visitors to draw level, before Raine smashed home to restore the lead. Korylco-Bowers completed his hat-trick and we won 4 – 2. We made hard work of a game we should have won more easily.
    In the 6-a-side mini-tournament at The Ryleys we beat Beech Hall 6 – 0, Kingsmead 4 – 0 and the hosts 2 – 0. It was a bit of a romp.
    Sooner or later we knew that injury and illness would cost us dear, and unfortunately it happened against Birchfield. Without Raine and Thowless-Reeves we struggled, though Korylco-Bowers scored one of the goals of the season with a superb volley from Hardy-Smith's corner. We were constantly playing catch-up, eventually losing 3 – 4.
    The trip to Shrewsbury High Prep was a happier occasion, even though we were fielding a weakened team. We won 12-1 in a match cut short to save our opponents from further punishment.
    Our final match was at Foremarke, and it saw a first with two girls, Tawana Chadhani and Elizabeth Morris, playing for us. We had won the home fixture 4 – 2, but with a weakened defence it was always going to be a struggle. We went 0 - 2 down, pulled level, but Foremarke scored a winner ten minutes from time. Try as we might, we couldn't find an equaliser.
    Thanks are due to all the boys (and girls) who gave everything they had got for the team. This was very mucha team of mixed-ability, but a record of 10 wins and 2 defeats shows what a successful season we had. A special note of praise for Harrison Hardy-Smith, Gabriel Korylco-Bowers and captain Jacob Raine, three outstanding footballers who led by example in every game they played. Gabriel finished top scorer with 26 goals in all matches, while his dad was supporter of the season after attending nearly all the matches. Roll on next year, though we could do with a couple of new signings when the transfer window opens.


    Yarlet managed to get straight on the front foot by taking the kick off, setting up a ruck and then Gabe Korylco-Bowers cantered over after a superb solo run, and converted his own try. However from this Birchfield responded with a converted try of their own. Yarlet responded immediately to this by scoring another converted try, only for Birchfield to do the same; after ten minutes the game was evenly balanced at 14-14.

    From here on in Yarlet began to take control of the fixture. With a further 3 tries from Gabe Korylco-Bowers Yarlet headed into the half time break 35-14 up.

    Knowing that Birchfield would continue to fight Yarlet knew they had to score first in the second half to put the fixture to bed, which we duly did through Jacob Raine.

    Yarlet continued to make the pressure tell; through some superb handling and interplay through the backs and the forwards Yarlet scored two more tries through Gabe Korylco-Bowers (completing his double hat-trick) and Harry Raybould. This gave Yarlet a dominate 56-14 lead, but Birchfield continued to fight and managed to get over for two more tries themselves making the final score 56-26.

    This was a very accomplished Yarlet performance where all the boys on the pitch contributed, Harrison Hardy-Smith set up 5 of Gabe Korylco-Bowers 6 tries and Jacob Raine put in a flawless kickling display to land all seven of his conversion attempts, including two from the touchlines. Captain Will Thowless-Reeves led from the front superbly, combining with Will Warwick to disrupt Birchfield ball and Oliver Butters-Peers, Oscar Mitchell and Joe Rogers contributed superbly in attack and were rocks in defence.

    A truly outstanding display from all the boys on the field and a resounding success.

    Well done boys!

  10. Despite having to make the journey over from Derbyshire, the Foremarke boys started brightly, scoring two quick tries straight from the off; thanks in part to some slack Yarlet defending. However some excellent running from Harrison Hardy-Smith saw Yarlet pull a score back, only for some more defensive frailties to creep in and allow Foremarke a third try. However on the stroke of the whistle some superb hands meant Gabriel Korylco-Bowers was able to charge over for a second Yarlet try. With the first ten minute third over it was Yarlet 12-19 Foremarke.
    Despite Foremarke's strong start Yarlet knew they had the the skill and the men to win this fixture, but they knew the next score would be key and straight from the kick off the Yarlet boys showed their intentions by scoring in the corner through Jake Raine. This set the tone for the rest of the game; gone were the defensive frailties, only to be replaced by ferocious tackling and excellent defence. The second third saw Gabriel Korylco-Bowers complete his hat-trick and a saw another try through Harry Raybould.
    Yarlet knew in the final third they would have to show the same standard of play to put the game to bed, and once again straight from the kick-off, Harrison Hardy-Smith side-stepped his way through the Foremarke defence to offload to Korylco-Bowers to run in for his fourth of the game. Yarlet continued to tackle with great aggression and bravery stopping two, seemingly certain tries, within a metre of the line. Further tries came from Hardy-Smith, Raine and Raybould who all scored braces and a fifth from Korylco-Bowers. Final score Yarlet 64 - 19 Foremarke.
    Despite the score line this was a superb contest between two very committed, physical sides and Foremarke deserve great credit for the way in which they played the game, however in the last fixture many of these boys will play for Yarlet, they were not to be denied a glorious final victory.
    Well done boys for a superb win and an excellent season.

  11. It was very amusing to watch as Mums tried to remember netball rules from over 20 years ago!
    They had superb passing skills using their strength and height to great advantage.
    Although they had the lower goal to shoot into in the first quarter they only managed a couple of good shots.
    The U13's had quicker passing and movement and faultless shooting, with the result that they won 4-2.
    Mums now looked tired but thanks to Mrs. Nash's oranges from Tesco they were invigorated.
    The U10's was the crunch match! Mums were now playing against their own daughters and suffering from hug attacks, faulty vision (now where are the side lines? what colour are they?) and Mrs. Millington's stricter umpiring.
    Mums went into the lead then daughters caught up, mums went into the lead again then daughters caught up again!
    Miss Amanda missed a couple of shots or had her foot on the line. She was really amazing however!
    The daughters had a fit of the giggles as Mrs. Bane and Mrs. Hood bumped into one another- perfect timing to steal the ball and send it straight to Kirstie.
    With a goal in the lead the daughters pressed home their advantage as Mrs. Bullock was caught chatting and Miss Dugdale accidentally (?) knocked the ball off. The final score was 5-3 to the daughters.
    The team tea served by Mrs. Swift was the best ever - almost as good as a visit to Fortnum and Masons with beautifully iced cupcakes, two chocolate cakes and the most delicious apple and strawberry cake (thanks Tracey).
    I think we should make this an annual event even if it is only for the cakes!

  12. Our first game against St Dominic's seems like such a long time ago now, but should not be forgotten as it gave us our highest score (17 - 1). All the girls worked well as a team, passed the ball beautifully around their opposition and defended well. The following match against Birchfield was a much closer affair. We were well in the lead by half time but unfortunately switched off and allowed our opposition to claw back the goals making the final score 8-7. Grace D and Jessica made some strong passes between themselves down the court and if it wasn't for their hard work, we could have lost the match. Our following matches against Terra Nova (5-2) and Smallwood (8-3) proved that we could win while playing away as well as on our home court. We comfortably controlled the game and were no match for our opposition. Grace T-R and Jemima continued to dominate in defence, while Kirstie and Grace W passed the ball cleanly around the D before getting shot after shot on goal. We knew our final match against The Ryleys could be our downfall but after such a strong season we went into it with confidence. This was Harriet's game. She intercepted ball after ball and broke down our opposition's play excellently. Evi, now playing much more calmly, made some strong and thoughtful passes while Jessica C enjoyed her debut for the Yarlet U10s. We had nothing to worry about and beat our opponents 5-1.
    What a season! I am so proud of you all! Well done to our shooters for scoring a total of 43 goals over 5 matches but they couldn't have done it without the support of such a fantastic team!!!
    Half colours have been awarded to Jemima B, Jessica H, Grace T-R, Grace D and Kirstie S.

  13. Mrs Hamplett was thrilled to receive a letter from The Rotary Club of Stafford Knot, praising not only the outstanding quality and number of photograghs submitted by Yarlet pupils, but that out of the total number of 550 photograghs judged from 19 different schools, the following pupils were to be notified of awards:

    Primary School Category

    Colour Print               2nd Place                                 Tania Kalsi                 Puffin-Inner Farne

                                        3rd Place                                  Joseph Thorpe            Eccleshall Church

                                        Highly Commended              Tania Kalsi                 Small Tortoiseshell

    Mono Print                 3rd Place                                  Ella Nash                    Sign That Made Me Laugh

                                        Commended                           Tania Kalsi                 Cygnets, Doxey Marches


    Accepted Exhibition Pictures

    Joseph Archer                                    Pollination, The Hungry Tiger, My Island and On Top of Wales

    Elliot Byrne                                         Which Way and Pay Attention

    Aaron Paris-Stickland                       Hand in Hand and Wolf Drop

    Jon Cunliffe                                        Sammy the Seagull

    Mrs Hamplett would like to thank all the pupils and their families for making this such a successful competition.

  14. We were all a bit anxious as we had never played against these schools before and just didn’t know how skilled our opposition would be.

    Our first match against Stafford Sports College got off to a roaring start with Captain, Olivia, opting to bat. Between them, the team mounted up 5 rounders from 25 good balls. Unfortunately we took too many risks early on which meant only 3 girls were left in at the end of the innings but luckily Olivia kept everyone going with long hits, protecting the remaining team. Our fielding in this game was outstanding. All girls were calm and knew exactly what to do. It was nice to see so many supportive and encouraging comments made amongst the team and I’m sure that helped achieve the final score of 5 - 1 ½ to Yarlet.

    Our second game was against Walton and we knew they would be good. Again, we batted first but only managed 3 ½ rounders this time as the opposition’s fielding was very tight and some of our players were more contented with watching their hits than running for a score! Our fielding was good, but unfortunately not good enough for Walton as they continued to take advantage of our errors. The final score was 7 – 3 ½ to Walton.

    Our third game had us playing against Weston Road Academy. We seemed to dip a bit in this game, our heads weren’t in it and we lost out on many chances to place our hits and make plucky runs. We only got 3 rounders in total this game while our opposition managed to mount up 6 whole rounders in their batting innings, along with 2 half rounders. Our fielding was good in and around the posts but unfortunately our long throws just weren’t up to scratch when they were needed, making the final score 7-3 to Weston Road.

    The final game was against the home team, Blessed William Howard. They seemed confident, but we found our fight and gave it our all, mounting up 3 ½ rounders in our batting innings and fielding tightly. Luckily our throwing became more accurate and we had learnt from previous errors, preventing our opposition from taking the win by only one rounder. The final score was 3 ½ - 2 ½ to Yarlet.

    Overall we came 2nd in the tournament but it must be noted that Yarlet was playing against schools who had up to 70 year 8s to choose from, while we had much younger pupils playing in our team. What a fantastic effort girls, under the circumstances - you did yourselves and your school proud. Well done!

  15. Captain, Amelia opted to bat first and we got off to a good start, mounting up the half rounders early on. Repton’s fielding was tight and we weren’t used to teams that were so well drilled, so we didn’t take many risks in the first innings. Some of our players were unlucky to be caught out, after making cracking hits but the rest kept going, making runs where possible. We managed to score 3 ½ rounders in this innings.

    Going into field, we knew we had to keep our cool and concentrate. Kirstie stopped our opposition scoring many times at 2nd base, while Grace D, Evi and Jessica C worked hard fielding the ball back to bowler, Amelia. Repton didn’t score as many half rounders as we did, but unfortunately for us, they could hit it a long way and scored 4 full rounders, making the half-time score 6 – 3 ½ to Repton, Dubai.

    With increased confidence that the difference in the score wasn’t too great, we went into bat in the 2nd innings, prepared to take more risks. We were able to place our hits better this innings and read the game much better. Amelia scored our one and only rounder from a fantastic hit and misfielding from the opposition. At ball 23 there were only 2 players left in, so Amelia and Jemima had to work hard between them for the final 7 balls. Luckily they managed it, increasing the score by another 2 rounders between them. At the end of our batting innings we had scored another 3 ½ rounders, making our final score 7 in total.

    Going into field for the final time, we knew it would be close. Luckily, Repton couldn’t hit Grace D’s balls so there was no score for the first 10 balls. Jemima stumped out their strongest player at 1st base, knocking the confidence of our opposition. Our throwing was much more accurate and Amlelia scooped up many lose balls in the field, aiming straight for 4th. Jessica Hood’s accurate throwing from backstop meant only one player scored from a backward hit in the entire game. She also backed up 4th base with confidence. Kirstie cut out all options at 2nd base, meaning only one player scored a half rounder in that 2nd innings. Unfortunately for us, they had one player that could hit the ball right behind 1st and our opposition were able to mount up 6 full rounders in total, along with one half rounder.

    The final score was 12 ½ - 7 to Repton, Dubai. It was such a close game and we played outstandingly well against a bigger, stronger side. Learning lots from our game yesterday, we can now move forward with more confidence than ever before.   Well done everyone who played yesterday.


    Our captain, Danielle, chose to field first. Alice caught someone out on 4th base on the very first ball and our accuracy continued when Ellen went on to catch another near first base. Fielding around the bases was tight. Danielle was able to stump quite a few players out on 2nd base, well backed up by Tania, and Purdy stopped lots of play around 3rd base. Harriet's fielding at backstop controlled the game well while she thought carefully about where the direct her throws. Evi made a few controlled throws into 4th base. Sophie's bowling was fantastic from start to finish. She was calm, confident and changed her throwing style lots so the Denstone Prep girls struggled to hit it.

    Our opposition scored 4½ rounders in their first batting innings.

    We went into bat. Evi and Harriet made some cracking hits but the fielding around 2nd was tight so Harriet didn't manage to get any further. Evi was lucky to get a couple of rounders from some plucky runs after miss-fielding. Ellen and Alice were on form with their hitting, making some lovely long hits and taking risks to score 3 rounders between them from more over-throws. Tania made a lovely hit and managed to score half a rounder and Eleanor surprised herself when she made contact with the ball, scoring half a rounder at 2nd base.

    We scored 5 full rounders in the first innings and 7 half rounders, making the total a marvellous 12.

    Our fielding was tight again in the second innings but we were put under more pressure when our opposition started to hit the ball. There was lots of fumbling around on the floor while Denstone Prep mounted up their rounders. Jessica C kept her cool in the field however, stumping a player out on 2nd which seemed to calm us all down a bit. The relationship between Grace W at backstop and Ellen on first became stronger, and Ellen was able to stump 3 players out after they didn't hit the ball. Ella made a beautiful catch behind first and also had quite a bit of work to do backing Ellen up on first. Danielle and Purdy made some fabulous catches and were both able to stump 2 players out each.

    The final score was 7 ½ rounders in this innings.

    Now at this point the score was an equal 12-12. We still had to bat but Miss Dugdale wouldn't tell us the score, so we thought it was very close. Ellen and Jessica took advantage of some miss-fielding after hitting the ball behind 1st base, Ellen scoring 2 whole rounders and Jessica scoring 3! Grace W made a beautiful hit which our opposition just couldn't get anywhere near 4th base so she mounted up another rounder. Unfortunately Alice and Purdy were both put out, after making cracking hits, because they left their base.

    The final score was 23-12 to Yarlet. Well done girls, another fantastic win, you took risks when you could and your fielding became much tighter after some superb coaching from the year 5's !!

  17. Winning the toss and electing to bat first Yarlet made a good start. In the early exchanges the opening pair of Will Warwick and Gabriel Korylco-Bowers grafted well on what was a surprisingly slow wicket. However, the boys soon hit their stride and were looking very assured at the crease, getting Yarlet to 29 before Korylco-Bowers hit a low full-toss to cover and fell for 14. Next in strode U11 captain Jack Farrington who looked assured and confident at the crease, hitting the Presfelde opener for a nice four through the covers. Unfortunately Farrington then succumbed to an excellent delivery and was bowled for 5. Next in was Harrison Hardy-Smith who from the start of his innings was looking in very good form, timing the ball well. With the partnership between Warwick and Hardy-Smith came Yarlet's strongest batting; with excellent running between the wickets and some confident stroke-play the pair put on 62 for the third wicket, with Captain Warwick unfortunately falling in the final over (being caught on the boundary at long on). The Yarlet innings finishing on a very respectable 97 for 3 after their twenty overs.

    Prestfelde began their innings with very clear intentions; try to dominate the bowlers and score the 98 required quickly. Despite some very good bowling from opener Korylco-Bowers (2 for 14 off 4) and with a small amount of good fortune, the Prestfelde batsmen were scoring at a good rate. However the Yarlet bowlers continued to make life difficult for the Prestfelde batsmen, with Will Warwick taking 3 wicket for 28 runs; and there was some very good hands in the field (with two catches from Jacob Raine and a further catch from Oscar Mitchell).

    Despite their best effort Prestfelde reached the 98 runs required for the loss of 5 wickets. This was a solid showing against a very strong side and the boys should be very confident ahead of the annual fathers' match on 10th July; an event to which all here at Yarlet are looking forward.

  18. In fabulous conditions the boys won the toss and elected to bat first. For the fathers there was an opening partnership reminiscent of the great opening pairs of years gone by: Holding and Marshall, Lillee and Thompson, Walsh and Ambrose, McGrath and Gillespie and of course Korylco-Bowers and (Mrs) Hardy-Smith.

    The boys weathered the early storm and were making steady progress, only for Mr Hardy-Smith to take the wicket of Gabriel Korylco-Bowers for 16, who was quickly followed by Captain Will Warwick; caught behind by past pupil Angus Munro of Mr Mitchell's bowling. From here on in the boys struggled as the fathers' attack remained on top throughout, despite the resistance of Harrison Hardy-Smith, who scored an excellent 46. This superb knock did give the boys bowling attack something to work with; the boys finishing on 116. Pick of the bowlers, Mr Hardy-Smith with 3 for 12 off 5.

    After a fabulous tea in the sun (credit to Mrs Swift for this, a delicious tea), the boys took to the field ready to take on the fathers batting line up. Mr and Mrs Hardy-Smith opened for the fathers, with Mr Hardy-Smith scoring a quick-fire twenty and retiring, with Mrs Hardy-Smith anchoring the innings for the fathers, batting for a full eight overs. With further runs from Mr Brad and Mr Mitchell, the fathers managed to reach the boys total with just 2 overs to spare.

    This was, as ever, a wonderful occasion and a pleasure for all to be a part of. Thanks must go out to three of our past pupils; Joseph Thowless-Reeves, Jasper Mitchell and Angus Munro who played very well, and also to all who took part to make this such a great day. To the boys we wish good luck and to the fathers.....be prepared to defend your crown again next year!




  19. IMG 4550

    We arrived at Shrewsbury last Sunday for the much anticipated 6-a-side tournament. The U11 boys were very nervous, but determined!  It took us a while to settle into our first 3 group matches, but we defended well, Mackenzie and Henry made some excellent tackles and Joseph was sensational in goal. The scores were close, but we were unable to come out on top against Stafford Prep, Packwood and Elstree which meant we were in the quarter final for the shield.

    Building on our previous performances, and knowing we had a good chance, our confidence soared against Shrewsbury High Prep. We began to work with each other, attacking in groups, using all the space on the pitch. Sam showed his strength at centre mid, able to beat his opponents, passing the ball to Jon and Ben up front, who managed a goal each to our opponent's nil.

    Into the semi finals, we played Aldwickbury, a team from Hertfordshire. They were strong and fast, but so were we. Ben made another lead run after Joseph's goal kick and beat the defence. Sam showed his determination, making a break just after half time and got another. Unfortunately our opponents also scored 2, meaning we had to go into penalties. Ben's successful top corner shot meant we earned our place in the final.

    The final was against our group rivals, Elstree. We dug deep and worked as a solid group, tracking back in defence and attacking in pairs. Our opponents were first to score with a curved ball from a corner. Determined, Ben showed his speed once more, beating the defence and equalising. Unfortunately our opponents got another with only a few minutes to go, so, in fighting spirit, and with 30 seconds left on the clock, Sam beat all 6 players with excellent skills and booted the ball into the corner. 'Sudden Death' penalties awaited us again. Jon, Ben and Mackenzie scored theirs but we were unlucky to miss out in the end, with the final score being 5-4. All boys played sensationally well and should be very proud of their performance, especially Jamie who had only been at Yarlet 4 days prior to playing with his new teammates. It's going to be an exciting season for the U11 football team.


  20. Henry Pass Eyam Trip 007

    On Thursday 22nd October, Form 7 embarked on a journey into the heart of the Peak District.

    During their visit they explored the grim yet touching experience of the people of Eyam village, who suffered a tremendous loss during the 17th century as they made a heroic sacrifice for the kingdom of Britain.


    Eyam village is infamous as the site where over 200 people lost their lives to the Great Plague, when a parcel arrived from London containing a flea-infested blanket...which soon infected the entire village with the bubonic plague, a deadly virus that results in coughs, swellings, buboes and eventually death.

    Form 7 showed true dignity and respect as they toured the museum and the village itself, walking the footsteps of the victims almost four hundred years ago and experiencing how they must have felt; trapped, frightened and alone. Very apt, seeing as the Halloween party took place immediately after they returned!

    All pupils gained valuable knowledge on the Black Death, an essential module for their History Common Entrance examinations, and the journey to and from the village took in glorious sites of unspoiled countryside. A fantastic day was had by all.



    The game began at a frantic pace with goal keepers being tested. Ben Eden and Mackenzie Tart both had early efforts that were well saved before Sam Archer had what looked a certain goal-bound shot miraculously palmed away for a corner by their keeper. It was evident from the outset that Shrewsbury's number 1 was something special and we would need to be on top form to make our mark against him.

    At the other end Joseph Shaw was also performing heroics of his own saving several goal bound efforts and bravely diving at the feet of their very fast and skilful centre forward to prevent us from going behind.

    Yarlet did open the scoring when Sam Archer placed a well struck shot into the bottom corner after 5 minutes but almost immediately Shrewsbury equalised after a shot through a crowed area left Joseph slightly unsighted. It became a very hard fought game up until half time with some strong tackles and good defending from both sides, Henry Pickering in particular for Yarlet, as well as fast, incisive attacking play. Slightly against the run of play Shrewsbury added a second to leave us trailing 2-1 at half time.

    The second half began with Alfie Farrington, Sam Archer and Ben Eden all going close with shots and looking dangerous on the break supported by Jon Cunliffe who was covering every blade of grass to get us back into the game. The equaliser came with a shot from Alfie Farrington after lots of pressure, which again their keeper had somehow thwarted with some fantastic saves and almost immediately we went 3-2 ahead when Ben Eden's pace and subsequent shot proved unstoppable. Sam Archer then had a brave header well saved and we had several other half chances to put the game out of reach with substitute Oliver Heath having a close range effort well saved.

    It was still end-to-end stuff and it was Shrewsbury that equalised from a throw in and a header that was well placed by their dangerous number 9 into the top corner.

    With a well fought draw looking likely Shrewsbury broke fast after we lost possession in their half and despite another great save from Joseph the rebound fell to a Shrewsbury player who guided the ball into an empty net from 20 yards. In one last desperate attack Yarlet had a goalmouth scramble cleared and the final whistle blew to record a 4-3 defeat.

    There was maximum effort all round by the Yarlet players against a strong Shrewsbury side and in difficult conditions with some fine all round performances. With cooler heads a 3-2 winning position with minutes remaining could have been preserved with better possession play and the team will also have learnt from this game that chances need to be taken to finish off dangerous teams.

  22. Hockey v Beech Hall 18 November 001

    Beech Hall also managed to score 2 in the first half so it was all the play for in the second half. Maicee and Harriet were confident on the wing, making some excellent lead runs up towards the goal. Danielle tried out her marking and shadowing in defence and managed to keep the opposition away. All the girls worked hard and were rewarded with one more goal before the final whistle went.

    Another good win to the U12 team, 3-2! Well done!


    The U9 girls were very excited for their first home game at Yarlet! We split up into two teams again, ready to play Beech Hall.

    The first match featured the Lions where Alice Beardsmore scored 2 goals within the first 2 minutes of the match! Purdy and Alice continued to work hard together in the middle, using their wingers, Sienna and Katie to create space. Purdy soon managed two more goals for the Lions, making the half time score 4-0. We moved everyone round in the second half. Sienna and Katie fought for the ball in the middle, Eleanor and Sophie ran around in midfield creating space and Ellen made a lovely run up the wing, slapping the ball in and making the final score 5-0.

    The second game featured the Tigers against Beech Hall. Ellen and Ella showed good teamwork in the middle, getting one goal each in the first half. Raphie and Sophie took over the centre spot, fighting for the ball around so many Beech Hall players. Louiza and Jessica got into some lovely spaces down the wing, while Freya and Evelyn stayed focussed in defence. In the second half Ella scored another goal after she battled for it in the D, making the final score 3-0.

    Well done U9! Another great game!



    Alfie Farrington went close on a couple of occasions having efforts well saved by their keeper and it looked only a matter of time before Yarlet went ahead.

    However, Denstone slowly got themselves into the game and Henry Pickering and Jon Cunliffe both had to make last ditch tackles during Denstone attacks to prevent us going behind.

    Yarlet then had a succession of corners and laid siege to the Denstone goal but, despite good efforts from Sam Archer and substitute Jamie Betteley, we could not break down their defence. 

    However, Yarlet began to pass the ball better and keep possession more and this produced the chance for Alfie Farrington to open the scoring with a crisp shot to the bottom corner of the Denstone net and send us in with a slender lead at half time.

    The second half began with Denstone looking reinvigorated and Joseph Shaw had to be very quick off his line when bravely diving at the feet of their number 9 to prevent a certain goal.

    Ben Eden and Sam Archer had chances to extend the lead as the game became end to end but Henry and Jon remained very solid in defence to prevent Denstone equalising.

    With just 5 minutes remaining Yarlet put the game beyond reach when Sam Archer and Ben Eden combined well in midfield and found Jon Cunliffe, who had decided to rampage forward and he expertly took the ball in his stride and settled the game with a well struck right foot shot.

    All of the squad were a credit to the school and worked very hard for a 2-0 win which was full of skill and endeavour from both sides.



    The hard-working Oliver Heath also had a shot well saved early on in the game and it was Yarlet who held the upper hand early on in the exchanges with Romi Peck looking solid in defence.

    Denstone were not for lying down though and had several very good chances themselves to open the scoring. However, they were faced with Aaron Paris-Stickland who was in inspired form and produced several fine saves and Joseph Thorpe, whose well-timed challenge late in the half stifled their attack on our goal.

    Despite plenty of goal-mouth action and very good chances for both sides the first goal fell to Denstone when Romi Peck was pressured into putting the ball past his own goalkeeper and, at the interval, it was Yarlet who were trailing 1-0.

    The second half began and both sides were looking to score from the off. Oliver Heath had a shot strike their crossbar and Noah Beeston also went close as Yarlet desperately sought an equaliser.

    This came in splendid fashion when Charlie Capewell controlled the ball 20 yards out and expertly chipped a shot into the top far corner of the Denstone net leaving their goal keeper floundering at thin air and scoring a goal that Lionel Messi himself would have been proud of.

    Yarlet seemed to gain confidence from this piece of footballing artistry and immediately went in front when Oliver Heath's shot found the back of the net to make it 2-1.

    Romi Peck was redeeming himself in defence with some excellent tackles and Noah Beeston was also looking very dangerous on the left wing in attack. Despite their best efforts Denstone couldn't get an equaliser and it was in fact Yarlet who scored a third after a quick break out with a right foot shot from the hard-working Alan McNulty to end the game in a 3-1 victory for Yarlet.

    To come from behind in the fashion that Yarlet did and run out emphatic winners showed great commitment and skill throughout the squad who all worked very hard for each other.

  25. We played in a strong, cold wind and had to be at our best against a talented, hard-working team. Playing against the wind, we created some good chances, but we were up against a fine keeper and it was obvious we would find it difficult to score. Harry Cartwright was a safe pair of hands in our goal and, as ever, Gregor Beardsmore was a towering presence at the heart of our defence. We did well to hold out for 0 - 0 at half-time.

    With the wind at our backs, we pressed more in the second half, and were rewarded when Max Raine latched on to a through ball, got to it just before the keeper and a defender, and finally tapped it into the net. Wrekin came back strongly, and a fine move saw them equalise. But we answered in the best possible way. Max Raine swept the ball out to Oliver Butters-Peers, who drilled it in to the near post, and Sean O'Reilly arrived in time to prod it past the keeper. 2 - 1. A fine, hard-fought victory.

    After 18 years of coaching football to countless boys - and a few girls - this was my final match. It's time to hang my boots up. I may not have convinced most of them (any of them?) that Derby County are the team to support, but it's still been a labour of love. The boys told me they had to win the game for me, and they did just that. After the final whistle, unprompted, they all came to shake my hand and thank me. That's the sort of thing that makes Yarlet special.

    Finally, thank you to the boy who waited until we arrived back at school and was sick in the toilet. At least he avoided throwing up in the minibus. He assures me it had nothing to do with the two plates of chips, sausages and beans he had for match tea. It must have been my driving.


  26. In September, 2kg of rocket seeds were flown to the International Space Station (ISS) on Soyuz 44S where they will spend several months in microgravity before returning to Earth in March 2016. The seeds have been sent as part of Rocket Science, an educational project launched by the RHS Campaign for School Gardening and the UK Space Agency.

    Yarlet School will be one of up to 10,000 schools to receive a packet of 100 seeds from space, which they will grow alongside seeds that haven’t been to space and measure the differences over seven weeks. The children won’t know which seed packet contains which seeds until all results have been collected by the RHS Campaign for School Gardening and analysed by professional biostatisticians.

    The out-of-this-world, nationwide science experiment will enable the pupils to think more about how we could preserve human life on another planet in the future, what astronauts need to survive long-term missions in space and the difficulties surrounding growing fresh food in challenging climates.

    Mrs Barron, Science teacher at Yarlet, says: “We are very excited to be taking part in Rocket Science. This experiment is a fantastic way of teaching our pupils to think more scientifically and share their findings with the whole community .The Children will be growing the seeds in gardening club, an extra curricula activity that takes place during lunch breaks, but all of the children in KS2 will be involved in the measuring and recording.

    Rocket Science is just one educational project from a programme developed by the UK Space Agency to celebrate British ESA astronaut Tim Peake’s Principia mission to the ISS and inspire young people to look into careers in STEM (science, technology, engineering and maths) subjects, including horticulture.

    Follow the project on Twitter: @RHSSchools #RocketScience


    Joseph Shaw, captain, gave support to his team and encouraged them to try their best. One area that was commended in the U11's playing was their respectful approach to the game. 

    It was Jon Cunliffe who scored the first try for Yarlet, dashing down the line and touching down in the bottom left corner. Despite both teams being evenly matched in ability and experience, it was Birchfield that took away an 8-1 win, partially down to tactics which enabled them to find a chink in Yarlet's otherwise strong armour.

    Mentions need to be made to all players of the team, who, for a first match, put in a sterling effort and showed true sportsmanship. Charlie Capewell gave great chase to the opposing side, whilst Victor Camara-Ruiz showed excellent effort and determination. Mackenzie Tart and Ben Eden also showed great resilience during the match, whilst Sam Archer, Joseph Shaw and Jon Cunliffe were superb up-and-coming players who excelled in teamwork skills. Finally Oliver Heath showed a good attitude towards the game.

    Well done lads, a great first home game.


    This was a thrilling first match for the U10 boys, who put in such a terrific effort and attitude against Birchfield.

    The game was an evenly matched one, with both sides playing their first game of the season.

    Henry Pickering, as captain, rallied his team effectively and ensured they were all in position to start. This was swiftly followed by a terrific try by Alfie Farrington, who easily weaved around the Birchfield players and scored a great first point for Yarlet.

    This was quickly followed by two more superb tries by Noah Beeston and Henry Pickering, and the first third of the match finished with a cracking dash from Aaron Paris-Stickland, an ace player who has really proven his worth on the field.

    Alfie once again demonstrated excellent rugby playing skills, scoring a fifth and a sixth try. This was matched try for try by Birchfield.

    Injuries soon crept in as both sides began to feel the wear and tear of continued play. But players such as Jamie Betteley and Jamie Cartwright bravely played on, Jamie B. scoring a seventh try.

    The match ended with a fourth try from Alfie, making the score tied at 8-8.

    A very good start for the U10's, and all players are commended for their determined attitude and teamwork.






    The course was a challenging one, with very difficult conditions under foot and in cold, windy and wet weather, but all our teams were up for the test ahead. In deteriorating weather conditions the races went ahead and when all of the results were announced, Yarlet had clearly performed very well indeed.

    The Under 9 girls and boys both came 5th in their respective team races overall, with Ella Nash finishing a superb 8th in the girls' race and William Connell also finishing an excellent 8th in the boys' race.

    In the Under 11 race for boys, Yarlet came out in 5th position overall, with Ben Eden the best of our finishers in a very good 11th place. The Under 11 girls ran superbly as a team and, in a very competitive race, came out in 3rd position overall for which they all deservedly received a medal for their combined efforts. Evi Rogers was the highest placed finisher with a great individual 9th place.

    The Under 13 boys also ran superbly as a team and everyone put in a great effort on an extended, strength-sapping course. Despite Oliver Butters-Peers and Max Raine putting in top ten finishes in 5th and 8th place respectively, Yarlet just missed out on the medals overall with a 4th place team finish. However, the combined team results overall for girls and boys of all ages were announced and Yarlet had finished in 3rd position as a school which was a superb result.

    All of the races had over 60 competitors with some having 80 taking part, so it was a very competitive race meeting in which all of Yarlet’s 30 strong team played their part, showing great attitude, determination and perseverance.

    Very well done indeed everyone!


    Their first match was against Terra Nova, which was very evenly matched throughout the two halves, with both teams gaining and losing ground. Terra Nova broke through to score a try towards the end of the game, coming out with a 1-0 win. Both offence and defence were strong, which allowed the boys to push them back for the majority of the game.

    The second match was against Packwood, which the boys also narrowly missed out on a win to, with a respectable score of 4-3 to Packwood at full-time.

    Joseph Shaw, captain, gave great support to his team, and was aided superbly by players such as Jon Cunliffe, Ben Eden, Alfie Farrington and Henry Pickering. Supporting strongly were Charlie Capewell, Noah Beeston and Aaron Paris-Stickland. It was Jon who scored two of the three tries, both times breaking out of the huddled mass of players and dashing towards the try line. Ben Eden made a terrific run near the end of the second half, scoring Yarlet's third and final try.

    Praise should go out to all players in this team, who worked very hard in a tough series of matches.


    This was a match that really tested the boy's abilities, in their extended game against Terra Nova.
    Jamie Betteley, a supportive and enthusiastic captain, helped his team to get into position throughout the game.

    The first third was a fast-paced series of tries from both sides, with Oliver Heath scoring two, both times by making a dash down the middle when a space was created for him, and Victor Camara-Ruiz scoring a try by a clear run through the gaps in Terra Nova's team. The second third was a more evenly matched period of play, with both teams, having scoped the opposition, playing more tactfully. Oliver Heath scored a third try, and Jamie Betteley scored his first after winning the scrum and making a breakthrough for the try line. The third and final game saw Oliver Heath and Victor Camara-Ruiz using their height and sprinting skills to their ability, as they both successfully won the ball and made a fast-paced sprint for the goal-line, Oliver's from the half-way mark! The final score was 11-7 to Terra Nova.

    All players worked hard and supported their team well, with aid from Jamie Cartwright, Romi Peck, Joseph Thorpe and Alan McNulty.



  30. Latin students were treated to a train journey to Bath Spa to visit the museum and baths complex there. It was quite an adventure going on the train, rushing for our connection in Bristol, finding our reserved seats and chatting to our fellow passengers.

    We spent a good two hours in the museum and the pupils were intrigued by the sight of the green vaporous waters which filled the natatio (swimming pool) all pleasantly heated from a natural spring. It was fun to see so many interesting Roman relics and artefacts. The coins were fascinating revealing the names of many well-known emperors including Hadrian, Trajan and Augustus. We loved seeing the gilded head of Minerva (without her helmet) to whom a temple was dedicated. Pilgrims came not only to enjoy the healing waters but to pray to the goddess.

    Our favourite time came when we spoke to one of the "characters "who said he was a Briton under Roman rule. He kept us amused and enthralled for over half an hour with his tales. Form 8 enjoyed trying to confuse him with talk of modern day gadgets but he cleverly refused to come out of character. When Theo asked if he knew what an X- box was he said yes, it's a box in which you keep eggs! Emily had the pleasure of playing OXO with him on a wax tablet. We admired his leather shoes and he liked ours especially the (Greek named) Nike ones!

    We had time to explore the vibrant shopping area, too, although the adults were quite happy to sample coffee and cakes in the Roman kitchen.

    Everyone was of the same opinion that they liked Bath and found it to be a very beautiful town. All in all a very enjoyable trip with lots of jokes and laughter along the way!

  31. Optimized-U9 St Anselms cricket COMPRESSEDYarlet under 9's arrived at St. Anselm's on a glorious spring day still smarting from a heavy rugby defeat several months earlier. With St Anselm's reputation as an excellent cricketing school also at the forefront of their minds, Yarlet had a tough task ahead of them which required everyone to put in maximum effort.

    Yarlet batted first with Fraser Dimberline and Ethan Squire putting on an amazing 39 runs in just four overs. Oliver and William Connell continued in the same vein scoring numerous boundaries and by the end of the 8th over, Yarlet had plundered an incredible 87 runs off the demoralised St Anselm's bowling attack.

    Henry Shaw and Jack Allbut scored 30 between them off their 4 overs including a huge six over square-leg from Henry and finally Luke Jones and Theo Hargreaves pushed the final total to an amazing 132.

    Yarlet had batted superbly as a team and had left St Anselm's a mammoth total to chase.

    Fraser and Theo opened the bowling attack for Yarlet with Fraser bowling an excellent maiden over. Henry Shaw then took a fantastic caught and bowled wicket and Luke also removed the stumps of a St Anselm's batsman. At the halfway point St Anselm's had been restricted to just 33 runs due to the accurate bowling and energetic fielding of Yarlet.

    In the 11th over, Ethan Squire produced a devastating spell of bowling where he clean bowled two batsmen with unplayable consecutive deliveries putting him on a hat-trick. His hat-trick ball again was too good for the batsman, but unfortunately it just missed leg stump which meant he had finished his spell by taking a total of 3 wickets for just 8 runs and a man-of-the-match performance.

    St Anselm's scored just 59 for the loss of 7 wickets and Yarlet recorded a victory by a massive 63 runs.

    This was a superb all-round cricketing display by everyone in the team and we can improve much further yet I am sure with the great attitude shown by everyone. Very well done lads!

  32. There were 2 groups of teams and the winners of each group would go through to the final. Teams were 8-a-side with everyone bowling one over except the wicket-keeper and batsmen having to retire if they scored 25 runs.

    Yarlet's first game was against St. Anselm's who batted first and found it difficult to score. Oliver Connell and Henry Pickering only conceded 5 runs between them from their bowling and with everyone else also bowling very accurately St. Anselm's were restricted to 47 runs from their 7 overs.

    Gregor Beardsmore and Jack Farrington opened the batting for Yarlet and immediately set about the bowling with Gregor hitting 5 boundaries in his innings of 25 and Jack also batting superbly. Yarlet surpassed St.Anselm's score with nearly 3 overs to spare to put 2 points on the board and get off to a great start.

    In the second match we faced Packwood who batted superbly despite excellent wickets being taken by Jack Farrington and Harvey Wilkinson. We were unable to stem the flow of runs and their innings finished on 76 leaving us requiring a mammoth 11 runs per over to win. Gregor and Jack however again pummelled the Packwood bowling to all corners of the ground with some excellent stroke play on the lightning fast outfield. Gregor again was forced to retire having scored the maximum 25 and then Jack was caught on the boundary with the ball looking like it was going for 6 when he was 23. Sam Archer and Alfie Farrington did their best to keep the scoring high but ultimately we fell just short of their total.

    In our final group, game victory was the only option as St. Anselm's had somehow beaten Packwood meaning that if Yarlet could win and score at a high rate we would make the final. Terra Nova batted first and our bowling was put under pressure straight away. Joseph Shaw who kept wicket excellently all day prevented many extras and Henry Pickering slowed Terra Nova down with a great wicket taking delivery and Joe Archer also bowled well but they still amassed a very large total of 67 runs which they seemed confident was out of our reach.

    Gregor and Jack again had other ideas and began scoring boundaries with fantastic stroke play and powerful hitting. Gregor scored his third 25 maximum score in a row which was a great achievement in itself which Jack quickly equalled. This however left us with two fresh batsmen at the crease still needing 15 off the last 2 overs. Jon Cunliffe and Alfie Farrington kept cool heads against a very pacy attack and with 4 balls to spare Jon hooked a ball for 4 runs which gave Yarlet an amazing second victory.

    The table finished with Yarlet, Packwood and St. Anselm's all on 4 points each which meant the team to go through to the final to face Prestfelde would be decided by run rate. After very complex calculations Yarlet had missed out by just 0.89 of a run which place us in 3rd position overall out of the 8 teams.

    Despite this disappointment in the end it was a very successful and enjoyable day for all of those who took part and to finish third was a fantastic achievement. The way everyone was batting and bowling we would surely have won the final if we had squeezed through with confidence being so high.


  33. Shrewsbury Sixes 4

    Yarlet under 13s took a strong team to the Shrewsbury Sixes football competition on Sunday 11th September at Shrewsbury School. We were grouped with Priory, Shrewsbury High and Westholme in the group phase of the competition and began well by beating Priory, who had won the competition for the past 5 years, by 2 goals to nil. Max Raine and Joe Archer scored the Yarlet goals in a very good performance with Charlie Belfield showing excellent defensive qualities.
    In the second game Yarlet played even better as a team with Max (2) and Joe again sharing the goals in a 3-0 victory over Shrewsbury High. Greg Beardsmore looked very confident in goal and there were also good contributions from Ben Eden, Sam Archer and Mackenzie Tart.
    Our final group game was the toughest but again great effort and skill prevailed with Yarlet winning 3-1. Max, Joe and Jack Farrington were the scorers in a win which put Yarlet top of their qualifying group with maximum points and into the quarter finals to face Packwood.
    Yarlet started well and a superb in-swinging corner from Max put us 1-0 up before Sam doubled the lead with a great header and from then on Yarlet completely controlled the game Joe, Max, Sam and Charlie putting in fine performances.
    In the semi-final Yarlet faced Prestfelde who were a big, strong side and started the game well. For the first time we found ourselves under pressure and conceded a deflected goal. Despite a valiant effort by everyone we could not pull the deficit back and Prestfelde held on for the win against a tired Yarlet side. In fact they went on to beat Formarke in the final and we were awarded 3rd place on countback.
    All of the squad put in lots of effort and came up just short in a very tight semi-final and they should be very proud of their achievements against excellent schools. Players, staff and parents all enjoyed a very exciting day out....well done lads!

  34. Shrewsbury Sixes 3

    We arrived at Shrewsbury last Sunday for a 6 a-side tournament. The U11 boys were very excited. Yarlet were in Group Z which consisted of The Ryleys, Shrewsbury High and Royal Wolves.

    Our first group game was against The Ryleys. In the first half we were not talking to each other so at half term the score was 2-0. Once we had a chat with Mr Shaw we worked so much better together, Oliver found all the right spaces to run into along with great tackles being made by Henry and Owen at the back. The final score was 2-2.

    Yarlet U11s second match was against Royal Wolves, we did really well passing the ball to one another and keeping possession, however we struggled to get on top of their defence in the first half. In the second half Alfie scored an amazing goal in the top right hand corner of the goal but sadly the game finished 3-1.

    Our final game was against Shrewsbury High, the home team. We all knew this would be a hard match as we'd heard how well they'd done so far. Never the less, we were determined to give them a good game. Aaron made some cracking saves that had all the spectators on the edge of their seats. Henry made some superb passes up the field where Alfie and Oliver were positioned. However it wasn't meant to be with the final score finishing 0-8.

    Yarlet U11 then got entered into the Shield Game against Terra Nova on Pitch 7. Using our previous matches as experience and not being put down by the scores we held our heads high going into the shield match. We showed great strength with Ethan making some excellent passes and Jamie tackling so cleanly that we were confident. However Yarlet could not get through their defence. With the final score standing at 3-0, we were sadly knocked out of the tournament.

    Above all it was our first fixture of the year and we have all learnt a great deal from it. We'd like to thank everyone who came to support us on that sunny Sunday.

  35. Birchfield were well prepared, and physical, yet our boys stole a win through clever tactics, quick thinking and communication.
    Zak scored first rather quickly, setting the tone for the match to follow. Supporting him was Henry, who demonstrated great skill both in offence and defence.
    Angus scored the second and third goals, both well-deserved for this talented young player.
    But we cannot forget the brilliant defence which ensured no goals were scored against Yarlet. Fraser in goal saved what would have been a great goal, and was supported effectively by William, who shone in his role.
    The boys though could not have succeeded without the vision of their captain, Reuben, who held them together and offered constant support.
    Well done boys, keep up the great effort!

    Yarlet U9's B Team (Football)
    Score: 6-0 victory to Yarlet

    Phenomenal. If there was a word to explain how the boys played, it would be phenomenal.
    The B Team approached Birchfield, and were timid to start, but soon settled into the game. The first third passed without comment, neither side gaining or losing ground, as they tested the battlefield.
    It was the second third where our boys attacked. William scored the first goal, weaving throughout the Birchfield boys and placing it in nicely.
    This was quickly followed by another goal from Robbie and by now we were really firing on all cylinders.
    Robbie smoothly scored the best goal of the game; a clean kick which sailed over the heads of both entire teams, and into the opponents goal.
    William scored a fourth goal, and spirits could not be higher. Harry, captain of the team, rallied his team masterfully, and Izaak and Oscar worked hard in defence.
    By the last third, Birchfield were tired, but our boys' energy was relentless. Robbie scored his hat-trick, and William, who promised his dad a goal for his birthday, instead gave him a hat-trick too.
    A terrific game which all enjoyed. Well done boys!

  36. They were not over confident, but showed restraint as they started the game with the sun in their eyes, assessing attentively the strength of the opposition. It took just ten minutes for Alfie to break the deadlock by scoring the first goal of the match and just two minutes later increasing his tally through a beautiful second goal. S. Anselm's responded through a high quality passage of play by their star player, coincidentally also called Alfie. The two Alfies looked confused at times as the opposition supporters called their name!

    The first two goals were quickly followed by two more goals from Noah who worked tirelessly with Elwin on the left inside, the two of them combining great skill and energy to create some beautiful play. Owen then scored a cracker from ten yards. On the fifteenth minute S. Anselm's put one in the back of the net through a great passage of play on the left inside. Unfortunately for S. Anselm’s, a comedy of errors meant that their players scored two goals against their own team. One more goal from Alfie (Yarlet) led to a hat-trick and at half-time the score was 1-8.

    Would we see one of the greatest comebacks in history in the second half? Or would S. Anselm's struggle with the sun in their eyes? The latter proved to be the case. Morgan and Oliver who did an excellent job in defence during the first half were substituted for Aaron and Romi. Aaron scored a hat-trick in the space of ten minutes. Soon after Noah scored the third hat-trick of the match. Elwin scored two beautiful goals. A few more goals added to the tally by Yarlet and a few more own goals by S. Anselm's meant a final score of 1 - 20!

    Man-of-the-Match: Alfie, for his tireless work ethic and great skills! A special mention also to Aaron and Noah for their respective hat- tricks and all round contribution to the team.

    Final score: S. Anselm’s  1 – 20 Yarlet U11A

  37. IMG 1420

    An eight strong team of year 5 & 6 girls set off in gale force winds hoping for a storm of a performance at Shrewsbury High in the first netball match of the season.

    On arrival, it was clear that this was to be a literal battle of David versus Goliath with Shrewsbury High towering over the height of the Yarlet lineup. What they didn't bank on though was our dogged determination and fighting spirit.

    Having lost the toss, Shrewsbury chose to take the first centre pass and the action was underway in this game of 4, 8 minute quarters. Yarlet made a great start and the first goal soon came from resident goal attack 'Sophie Shoot em n Score Beech' capitalising on her first attempt at a shot to take us into an early lead.

    During the first quarter, Sophie had two more shots from mid and long range after great passing work by Dani Dynamite Rotchell and Tilly the feet Capewell but the score remained 0-1 at the end of the first quarter.

    Encouraged by our early lead, the team welcomed on Scarlet the Battler Bryan in place of team captain Dani. Shrewsbury began strong with two early shots on goal and Tilly's tenacious attempts to keep possession lead to a mid quarter toss up. The quarter ended 2-1 to the home team.

    Sensing an uphill battle, we decided to put some height into our defence with Ella the Energiser moving from shooter to keeper. Goal defender Alice the Bulldog Beardsmore and Ella did a great job which allowed us to draw level to 2-2 with a goal coming from Sophie after some excellent bounce passing between her and new shooter Tilly in order to get into a prime shooting position. Three more attempts from the Yarlet forwards came close but Shrewsbury snatched one back late in the quarter making it 2-3.

    As the centre in the last quarter, Eager Ellen Clarke got the game underway with a superb pass to Purdy the Pugilist Oliver, who, having observed the 'first to pull the ball away from their opponent rule' in action, set about to win every ball that she laid her hands on leading to a strong Yarlet final quarter.
    Again, it was Sophie Shoot em n Score who quite rightly scored the final goal of the match to even things up at 3 all.

    After the traditional cheers and thank yous, Alice the Bulldog Beardsmore was quite rightly nominated woman of the match with a pure first class performance where her grit was matched with control leading to no obstructions or, more importantly, injuries - always a worry with our Alice!

    With an excellent start to the season, the U11s look set to claim their first victory soon.


    On arrival, we learned that two of their players play for clubs but we remained undaunted. Having won the toss, we opted for the first centre pass and play got underway. Terra Nova intercepted and got the ball into their D. After a few attempts, they secured their first goal to go up 1-0.

    Within the next five minutes, Terra Nova were up 7-0. This was looking to be a possible annihilation. However, we held our heads held high, Kirstie got back three goals with a 100% score rate and the first quarter ended 7-3.

    It was clear we needed more height in defence so Jess moved from shooter to keeper putting Dani in the shooter role. Terra Nova started strong again and quickly scored 2, taking them 9-3 up. Kirstie pulled one back for 10-4 but they scored again to take it to 11-5. At the end of another tough quarter, the score finished 13-5 with Terra Nova having secured another 5 goals.

    Again, we needed a new strategy to add height into the shooting third so Grace moved from centre to shooter to leave Evi with the unenviable task of trying to control their club-playing centre. This freed up Dani to take a wing position and meant that Alice The Bulldog Beardsmore could go back to her natural home of goal defence. The new strategy proved to be our best one as Terra Nova only advanced their score by 1 and Kirstie pocketed another 4 goals leaving us at 14-9 and with hope at the end of the 3rd quarter.

    With our new team structure working, we stuck with it and fought hard in the final quarter of the game. Alice made some great defensive interceptions and was key in getting the ball up to Kirstie and Grace in the attacking 3rd. Kirstie kept pulling back the goals but in the end we had too much to do following the 1st quarter's trouncing and the final score was 16-12 to the home team. Indeed, to only have a 4 goal deficit by the end felt like a triumph and the game was a great experience for this newly formed team.

    Unsurprisingly, Kirstie Score Score Score Shiner was pronounced player of the match as she had scored every one of our 12 goals, intercepted well and been key throughout the game.

    Well done girls on a great effort and show of sportsmanship.


  39. U11 Football Tournament 16 Feb

    Match Report: Yarlet vs St Austin's
    Yarlet gave an excellent account of themselves in this match. They were particularly well organised defensively despite never having played a tournament together before. For many in the team, this was their first competitive tournament. Jamie and Owen kept Austin's attackers at bay. Great interplays between Alfie and Noah produced three great goals. The game finished Yarlet 3-0.
    Man of the Match: Alfie

    Yarlet vs St Anne's
    The second match in our group was against St Anne's. Yarlet enjoyed plenty of early possession with goal opportunities falling to Noah and Alfie with an excellent shot from Alfie who nearly scored from outside the box. As St Anne's began to increase their possession, Elwin and Jamie defended more rigorously, denying St Anne's several goal opportunities. Alfie scored a sumptuous goal from a cunning assist from Noah with Noah also scoring two minutes before the final whistle. Final score Yarlet 2-0.
    Man-of-the-Match: Elwin

    Yarlet vs St Patrick's
    In our third match against St Patrick's, Henry, who started the game in defence, produced an excellent interception to prevent the opposition from taking an early lead. This was followed by a great shot on goal from Alfie, which was unfortunately denied due to a strong save from the St Patrick's goalkeeper. However, after further counter attacks, Yarlet finally took the lead with a powerful shot from Noah. Henry, Elwin and Jamie were excellent in defence and were able to keep the opposing team at bay until the final whistle. Final score Yarlet 1-0.
    Man-of-the-Match: Noah

    Yarlet vs St Leonard's B
    Our fourth game was against St Leonard's B, probably the strongest team in our group. We produced some of our best football in this game. The entire team played well and it was no surprise when Alfie produced an outstanding goal to give us a 1-0 lead. We managed to hang on to our lead, thanks to some excellent goalkeeping from Aaron and spirited defending from Owen. Final score Yarlet 1-0. We came top of our group and earned ourselves a place in the semi finals.
    Man- of- the-Match: Alfie

    Yarlet vs John Wheeldon
    In our semi-final match against John Wheeldon we shared equal possession, but were unable to convert our goal scoring opportunities into goals. Despite putting the opposing side under pressure, luck was not in our favour and we ended losing by 1-0. Yarlet demonstrated magnificent endeavour and team spirit throughout the tournament. Well done boys!
    Man-of-the-Match: Aaron